The Musical Theater Ensemble is a premier ensemble that provides students the opportunity to perform in a full musical theater production. The size of the ensemble changes dependent upon the season. Due to our St. Paul community relationship and the fact that we live in the same building, the ensemble performs regularly at the History Theatre. The shows for this ensemble are chosen to open up students to the many musical styles utilized in the wide world of theater. A deference is given to shows which highlight contemporary musical styles cultivated in our McNally Smith College educational programs. The shows for this ensemble are chosen to help expose students to the multiple styles within the musical theater world, with deference given to shows that will highlight the contemporary musical styles cultivated in their educational program.
Musical Theater Audition Information
- Please fill out the electronic ensemble department form. This is a very important step!
- Sign up for a time. Sign up sheets will be on the Vocal Department Bulletin Board. A synopsis of the show and a character breakdown will be available for perusal along side the audition sign-up.
- Prepare a song that shows off your range, tone, and personality. Be memorized. Please bring sheet music with you at your audition. When choosing music, be sure that it reflects the style of the show and the type of character you are interested in being considered for.
- Arrive early enough to fill out an audition sheet – information collected will include contact information, experience, and conflicts. You can attach your resume if you have one as well.
Callbacks will be held after the first round of auditions is completed. At call backs you may be asked to do the following:
- Cold readings from the script
- Sing from the score