As part of the 125th Annual Winter Carnival events, The Mexican rock band La Korneta will play a free concert at McNally Smith College of Music Auditorium at 7:00 p.m., January 30 and also attend classes at the school. The band will headline a bill that includes other musicians, singers and dancers.
The group is from St. Paul’s sister city of Manzanillo, Colima, in Mexico. La Korneta, Spanish for “the horn”, is composed of five young men who play light rock and classic Mexican songs in both Spanish and English. They are visiting Saint Paul for two weeks as part of a delegation from Manzanillo, a St. Paul Sister City since 2001. The Sister Cities program promotes greater cultural awareness and understanding between citizens of different countries.
The quintet’s intriguing song list includes music by Latin rock groups Jarabe de Palo, Los Heroes del Silencio, Soda Stereo, as well more familiar favorites such as Bob Marley, The Cure, and The Doors. La Korneta is composed of musicians from the Mexican state of Colima. Band members include Juan Mendoza Reyes (drums), Omar Arenas (guitar), Renan Ramirez Varela (keyboards, guitar and vocals), Edson Guillermo Gutierrez Martinez (bass), and Ricardo Hazel Gutierrez Martinez (guitar).
Winter Carnival January 30th Program at McNally Smith
- 7:00: McNally Smith World Vocal Ensemble directed by Peggy Larson, followed by McNally Smith Afro-Caribbean Percussion Ensemble directed by Shai Hayo, featuring the Rene Thompson dance group
- 7:30: PosNoSys – Hmong hip-hop/funk
- 8:00: Sanford Moore – African American gospel music
- 8:45: Djang Project – Mexican/American jazz funk collaborative
- 9:15: La Korneta – Mexican classic rock band
La Korneta is part of a contingent of 17 members from Manzanillo, including Mayor Nabor Ochoa, who are here January 25 – 30, 2011 during the annual Winter Carnival events. They will also visit other areas in Minnesota. For more information on the visit or the Manzanillo Sister City relationship, please visit www.saintpaulmanzanillo.com.
La Korneta will perform a series of FREE concerts as part of a cultural tour of Saint Paul and greater Minnesota. The complete concert schedule is as follows:
- Jan 27, 7 p.m. Neighborhood House in St. Paul’s District del Sol
- Jan 29, 7 p.m. Spike’s Bar & Grill in Faribault
- Jan 30, 7 p.m. McNally Smith College of Music, downtown St. Paul
Join us and La Korneta to bring some heat to this year’s Winter Carnival!Newer: McNally Smith Faculty Top Twin Cities Critics’ Best Local Records of 2010
Older: McNally Smith College of Music Alumni Making Headlines on World Music Charts and in City Pages Feature Story