McNally Smith College of Music is seeking a Department Head for its Composition and Songwriting Department. The Department Head plans and directs the overall administrative operations of the department, provides visionary leadership for faculty, and reports to the Music Production and Contemporary Writing Division Chair.
McNally Smith is dedicated to developing students as creative professionals and preparing them for success in the areas of music performance, business, production, engineering and composition. Accordingly, the Department Head is responsible for ensuring that the curriculum is relevant and current with the industry standards and career realities of working composers and songwriters. This is a collaborative position that requires the Department Head to work across departmental lines to create meaningful educational experiences that reflect current and emerging best practices within the music and entertainment industry.
The College celebrates its faculty as a community of accomplished educators, artists and active practitioners. To this end, the ideal candidate should possess the following qualifications:
- Considerable professional experience in composing for media (e.g., television, film, video games, new media, etc.) and/or songwriting (e.g., publishing, placements, licensing, etc.)
Highly skilled with:
- Audio recording and mixing technologies
- MIDI sequencers and digital audio workstations
- Collaborative working style
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to relate and engage students in the learning process
- Master’s degree or graduate certificate in related field
- Experience in curriculum development
- Minimum of 3 years teaching experience
- Curriculum review, development and oversight
- Faculty management – including scheduling, class observations, and faculty development
- Development of departmental goals
- Membership on divisional and college committees as needed
- Maintenance of teaching load (reduced)
- Student advising
This is a 12-month position with a renewable contract. Salary is negotiable and commensurate with experience.
To Apply: Please send recorded work samples (audio or video), resume/CV, and contact information (phone numbers and email addresses) of three professional references via email.
Subject Line must read: “Applicant, (Position), (Last Name)”
Example: Applicant, Composition Dept Head, Jones
Email your application, attaching one document, Portable Document Format (PDF), containing the following:
Page 1 – Cover letter of interest
Page 2 & 3 – Curriculum Vitae (summary of academic and professional history). CV must be condensed to 2 pages, minimum 12 font.
Page 4 – Reference list with contact information
Pages 5 … – All College transcripts
Email applications to: HR@mcnallysmith.edu
Work samples will be accepted as web links, downloads or attached as electronic media (mp3, mp4, Quicktime, etc.)
Applications will be accepted until March 15th, 2012. Review of applications will begin upon receipt.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
McNally Smith College of Music is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation in employment or the provision of services.Newer: McNally Smith Open House This Saturday (Feb. 4th)
Older: This Weekend: Deepwinter Bonfire Presented By McNally Smith College of Music