Spring 2017 New Student Orientation Information
Welcome incoming students! It’s time to start thinking about Orientation and your first semester at McNally Smith College of Music. Orientation covers all of the important processes, procedures, and policies you will need to know to have success at the College. Orientation is also the way that students network and begin to build friendships. It is a mixture of mandatory programming and fun, all rolled up into one! Orientation Leaders are students who are eager to help incoming students feel comfortable and get acquainted with the College.
Check out the attachments listed on this page. They will help you to prepare for your college experience. Learn to cook a few simple, healthy dishes; learn to balance your budget and balance your time; and learn to clean—kitchens and bathrooms, especially!
New and transfer students are required to attend orientation. If you have any questions, please contact Student Affairs (email@example.com) or call us at 651-361-3425.
Spring 2017 Orientation Schedule
Wednesday, January 18: Residence Hall Move-In Day
- 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM: You will be welcomed by McNally Smith students, staff, and faculty who will be there to help unload your vehicles and make sure you get to where you need to go. Details about move-in day and what to expect will be forthcoming on the Residence Life page. In the meantime, if you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thursday, January 19 — Day 1 of New Student Orientation (NSO)
- 9:30 am: General Check-in at the front desk, meet orientation leaders, badge photos taken
- 10:00 am: New Student Welcome
- 11:00 am: Mandatory Student Programming
- 12:00 pm: Lunch
- 1:30 pm: Mandatory Student Programming
- 2:40pm: Campus tour
- 4:00 pm: End of Day 1
- 5:00 pm: Optional Orientation Event – Dinner and Open Mic
- 8:00pm: End of Event
Friday, January 20 — Day 2 of NSO
- 9:00 am: School open for new students to seek specific questions
- 10:00 am: New Students meet Orientation Leaders in Library
- 10:15 am: Mandatory Student Programming
- 12:00 pm: Lunch
- 12:40pm: Mandatory Department Meetings: spend time with your program department & classmates.
- 2:00 pm: Official end of orientation
- Optional Activity: Ride the Light Rail down University Avenue with the OLs.
- Café open for dinner 5pm – 7pm
- 5:00 pm: School Administrative and Academic areas are closed for the weekend.
- 10:00 pm: Building Closed
Saturday and Sunday, January 21–22
- School Closed for Winter Jazz Blast
Monday, January 23
- Regular class schedules begin
Prior to orientation please make sure you are able to successfully access your McNally Smith student portal (https://myportal.mcnallysmith.edu). If you are unable to log into your student portal at this time, please contact the Information Technology Offices at email@example.com, or click the “Forgot Username” link next to the Student Portal Homepage login button. Please ensure this is done BEFORE orientation.
We’ve created some additional resources to help prepare you for your transition to college life at McNally Smith: