Join us for McNally Smith College of Music’s 5th Annual Winter Jazz Blast Evening Concert!
The Winter Jazz Blast Evening Concert is an open-to-the-public live music event featuring performances by the renowned JazzMN Orchestra (with guest conductor McNally Smith Brass & Woodwinds Department Head Peter Whitman) and one of McNally Smith’s top international touring student groups, the Fusion Ensemble!
The Evening Concert caps off a day-long, non-competitive festival for regional high school jazz bands and combos. NOTE: Registration is now closed for this portion of Winter Jazz Blast, as we are currently at capacity for high school jazz bands and combos.
Saturday, January 21, 2017
McNally Smith College of Music (Map/Directions)
- $10/Adult with Student
- $15/Adult without Student
Taking place Saturday January 21, McNally Smith’s 5th annual Winter Jazz Blast is a non–competitive festival that offers middle and high school jazz bands the opportunity to perform for their peers and receive a critique from professional adjudicators, including local jazz musicians.
Students also attend clinics and instrumental masterclasses, record in McNally Smith’s studio complex and enjoy an evening concert featuring the JazzMN Orchestra (with guest conductor McNally Smith Brass & Woodwinds Department Head Pete Whitman), and the McNally Smith Fusion Ensemble (directed by Brass & Woodwinds faculty member Adam Meckler).
8am–6pm: band performances, clinics, masterclasses, recording sessions, awards
6:00–8:00pm: evening concert
McNally Smith College of Music
19 Exchange Street East, St Paul, MN 55101
- While Winter Jazz Blast is a non-competitive festival, 2-3 outstanding ensembles will receive awards for outstanding performance.
- Ensembles are invited to perform up to three pieces totaling 15 minutes.
- Each ensemble receives a video recording of its performance.
- Critiques are provided by professional adjudicators.
- Ensembles receive a clinic session with professional adjudicators.
- Combos are invited to sign up and perform on the combo stage. Combos will be critiqued and will receive a clinic from professional adjudicators following their performance.
- Combos and soloists can sign up to record in McNally Smith’s studio complex. Combos must prepare a tune in advance; soloists can record solo or along with a track that they bring (SPACE LIMITED).
- Students can attend instrumental masterclasses.
- Outstanding soloists will be awarded scholarships to McNally Smith’s Summer Workshop, and will be invited to perform at the evening concert.
- Boxed lunch available for $8/person (advance order required).
- Pizza dinner available for $7/person (advance order required).
- Discount tickets are available for the evening concert ($85 per band, or $5/student, $10/adult).
- NOTE: After you register, McNally Smith will follow up with you to receive further information.